Subject: Re: Sharing MII and I2C code in ethernet drivers
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/21/1997 11:50:13
On Sun, 21 Sep 1997 11:24:30 -0700 (PDT)
 Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca> wrote:

 > > I think I'd like (and even for PHY available on the board I don't use), to
 > > make the kernel binary and memory usage smaller.
 >
 > How many kilobytes of memory will this save?
 >
 > We are adding a rather significant amount of mess to the config
 > file for this capability.

How many kilobytes does removing an unneeded SCSI driver save?

Your statement abut "significant amount of mess" is absurd.  I see it
as no different than attaching a "scsibus" to a "bha".

The point here is that:

	(1) MII is a real direct-config bus.

	(2) There can be multiple PHYs on an MII.

	(3) The same model of Ethernet card may have different PHYs
	    as time goes on.

	(4) Eventually we may see Ethernet cards that allow PHYs to be
	    swapped (via some daughter card).

	(5) We need a card-independent mechanism to find and configure
	    PHYs on an MII.  The autoconfiguration framework provides
	    the machinery.

NAS: M/S 258-6                                       Work: +1 415 604 0935