Subject: Re: TCP/IP problem in 1.2
To: None <is@beverly.rhein.de>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/21/1997 14:25:04
On Sat, 20 Sep 1997 11:59:54 GMT  is@Beverly.Rhein.DE wrote:

> Stefan Grefen (grefen@hprc.tandem.com) wrote:
>
> : I think windows uses something over 1500 bytes as MTU so increasing  the MTU
> : for the PPP line may be you're only options (besides hacking the kernel
> : to ignore the DF flag ...).
>
> Is this true? This would explain some problems I have at work. From time
> to time, our SunOS machines are swamped with overbig packets.

Just on this, there are a couple of programs floating around the Windoze
world that "increase modem performance by over 100%" - all they do is
change the MTU to (I think) 576.

Simon.
--
Simon Burge, IBM Global Services Australia		simonb@telstra.com.au
UNIX Support, CPR Project, Telstra Corp.		+61 3 9634 3974 (Phone)