Subject: Re: Big/Little endian conversion in FS
To: Manuel BOUYER <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/15/1997 17:01:58
On Mon, 15 Sep 1997, Manuel BOUYER wrote:

: I'd like to add bytes-swapping support to FFS, so that one can mount
: a filesystem created with the other endianness (configurable with an
: option). I can see 2 way to decide if we need byte swapping or not:
:  - with a mount option,
:  - autodetect, based on the magic number.
:
: I prefer the second one.

Would be nice to allow _both_ (option and autodetect).  Same for fsck, mind
you--you don't have to just change the filesystem code!

: In order to achieve this, I need byte swapping functions swap16(), swap32() and
: swap64(). I think I'll implement theses in C in libkern, and peoples who
: know about assembly can write optimised versions for a specific architecture.

Okay, here it starts again (yes, this was already discussed at length).
Does anyone out there know if we ever settled on good names for these?

=====
== Todd Vierling (Personal tv@pobox.com; Business tv@lucent.com)
== I know you like the Internet, Bobby.  Now go eat your Frosted Flakes.