Subject: Re: "Chris G. Demetriou": Re: bus.h style question
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/21/1997 17:45:57
> >Jonathan, for the last goddamned time, fix you f*cking mailer.
> >
> >If it can't send mail out with correct 'from' lines, it shouldn't be
> >sending mail at all.
>
> Yes, it does happen too often.  I do apologize, to Chris and the list,
> for inadvertently sending email with a bogus From: address.  I don't
> understand why it happens.  Some of it seems to be (I think) hardware
> fault; some of it may be pilot error.
>
> The mailer I'm using is mh/mh-e configured to use SMTP directly, or
> Emacs sendmail mode; I really don't understand why this seems to
> happen, and predominatly (solely?) with Chris' email address.
>
> Asking like that doesn't exactly encourage me to fix it.  But I'd
> welcome any suggestions for a retroactive filter to at least catch
> this.

Yes, I know that asking like that doesn't encourage you to fix it.
However, i've asked you in the past to fix it, with no results then,
and i'm quite sick of having to deal with the problem since it
invariably causes confusion among mail recipients, as well as the
other obvious problems.

I, too, use MH+MH-E configured to use SMTP directly and emacs sendmail
mode, yet (as far as I know 8-) mail that i've sent has never
accidentally come out of my mailer with the wrong "From:" e-mail
address.  I don't really have any suggestions as to how to fix it, and
am not really sure what a good filter to catch it would be, but it's
not clear that I _care_ about the latter.  It isn't our responsibility
to fix or catch your mail problems.

cgd