Subject: Re: kvm
To: None <jdaily@bbn.com>
From: Mike Long <mikel@shore.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/19/1997 18:17:54
>Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 15:03:26 -0400
>From: "John R. Daily" <jdaily@bbn.com>
>
>I'm using the kvm facility to access a data structure in the
>kernel, and I'd like to know a little bit more about the
>internals, as I'm obtaining odd results.
>
>I have several different kernel builds, and under certain
>ones, I obtain the correct data with kvm_read, and under
>others, my structure is filled with completely erroneous
>values.

Are you sure that /var/db/kvm.db always matches the kernel you booted?
If it doesn't, then kvm won't work properly.  If your source is more
than a month or two old, then your kvm_mkdb may have a bug which kept
it from properly detecting that the running kernel is different from
the one last used to generate /var/db/kvm.db.  Also, if you are
booting a kernel from a path other than /netbsd, then /etc/rc will
feed kvm_mkdb the wrong kernel.

>And similarly, what causes this error from dmesg on the same
>kernel:
>
>dmesg: kvm_read: kvm_read: Bad address

This another instance of the same problem you're having with your own
code.
--
Mike Long <mikel@shore.net>                http://www.shore.net/~mikel