Subject: Re: bus.h style question
To: Leo Weppelman <leo@wau.mis.ah.nl>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/18/1997 16:10:41
> This is exactly why I decided to accept the fact to tack an endian label
> to a bus; it should work for most of the hardware and it provides a
> reasonably sane interface for most (MI) driver writers. If you drop this..
> uhh "certainty", nearly every thought about an MI driver turns into a
> headache.

Right.  That's why we designed it the way that we did.

Unfortunately, as with anything that attempts to generalize hardware,
it has warts.  I'm sure that there are some bus bridges out there
somewhere that byte-swap in hardware for particular address ranges,
for instance, and those will be annoying to deal with...

However, you have to make _some_ assumptions in order to make drivers
portable.

chris