Subject: Re: bus.h style question
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/18/1997 00:50:17
On Sun, 17 Aug 1997 04:02:43 -0700,
   Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov> writes:

 > For a given bus, you know the bus's "native byte order".  Seems like
 > an:
 >
 > #if BYTE_ORDER == BIG_ENDIAN
 > 	/* Fixup multi-byte streams */
 > #else
 > 	/* Don't do fixups. */
 > #endif

...might be appropriate.

That works when you know the intended _bus_ byte order, and bus
byteorder is always the same as the driver hardware byte-order.

I don't see how it would work, in general, in chipset-level drivers,
for chips that appear on busses with different endian-ness.

>  Or, additional bus.h entry points which are
>explicitly designed to do multi-byte streams.

Hey, that makes me happy, as long as the methods are wide enough to do
efficient access to bytestreams accessed via 16-bit, 32-bit or (even
64-bit) device registers.