Subject: Re: bus.h style question
To: Jonathan Stone <>
From: Jason Thorpe <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/17/1997 04:02:43
On Fri, 15 Aug 1997 19:26:23 -0700
 Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU> wrote:

 > The only way to make this work with byteswapping is to transform
 > accesses to 32-bit PIO registers to do byte reads. I'm not sure that
 > always works, and even if it does, the performance cost is going to be
 > odious.
 > >From the perspective of the elink3 driver _only_, forcing byteswapping
 > into the bus_space_* like this seems like is a bloody awful idea.

For a given bus, you know the bus's "native byte order".  Seems like

	/* Fixup multi-byte streams */
	/* Don't do fixups. */

...might be appropriate.  Or, additional bus.h entry points which are
explicitly designed to do multi-byte streams.

Jason R. Thorpe
NAS: M/S 258-6                                       Work: +1 415 604 0935