Subject: Re: State of remote kernel debugging
To: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/06/1997 22:27:17
On Wed, Aug 06, 1997 at 12:21:14PM -0700, Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com wrote:

> So, what's the current state of remote kernel debugging on the i386
> platform?  Is it integrated and working in current?  If not, does the
> stuff from February still work?  Do I need to retrieve and compile a
> newer version of gdb than what's supplied with current?

Quoting my message from port-i386 a few days back:

=============================
Yes, it works now. Sample: if the machine that you want to debug has
a serial line going from com1 (in NetBSD terms, not DOS), to com3 on
the other one, and your speed is 38400 bps:

        - compile a kernel with:
                - makeoptions   DEBUG="-g"
                - options KGDB, KGDBDEV=0x0801, KGDBRATE=38400
                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                makedev(commajor, 1)

        - boot that kernel on the machine that you want to debug.
          use the -d option when booting to have it drop into kgdb
          right away.

        - on the other machine (assuming that you did the compiling there),
          go into the compile dir for the kernel on the other machine
          and do:
                - you should probably have 'softcar' set for the serial line
                - gdb
                - file netbsd.gdb
                - set remotebaud 38400
                - target remote /dev/tty03