Subject: SCSI oddiments in PR#3815
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/04/1997 01:46:41
The trivial changes in PR#3815 have been committed.

As for always reporting the sync SCSI transfer rate, that currently appears
in the device drivers, not in the MI code, and there's not currently a way
to pass that up to the MI SCSI code. To make it consistent right now, we'd
have to change each SCSI driver that supports sync transfer.

The question is - should we bother with either change? I wanted the sync
transfer rate just for my own information (it's useful to see what a SCSI
device will claim about itself) so I was happy to see it show up on the
sparc when I compiled with DEBUG (it's in dev/ic/ncr53c9x.c), but I'm not
sure it's worth adding the information to a structure someplace to pass it
up from the low SCSI to high SCSI just for reporting. I have this notion
that the information might be useful at some later date for scheduling disk
transfers across the SCSI busses, but that's just a handwave and me not
wanting to dispense with any information that might be useful later
(packrat!).

Comments?

	Erik <fair@clock.org>