Subject: Re: Directory cookies, the continuing story
To: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/30/1997 07:29:18
> I should mention one other way to fix this: add a d_off field to
> the dirent structure, which obsoletes the need for cookies to
> be returned by the VOP_READDIR operation. struct dirent would no
> longer match the on-disk version of FFS in that case, though.

It's not clear that struct dirent should match the on-disk version to
begin with.

Right now, struct dirent is forced to used fixed-size types
inappropriately, because FFS wants to use it as an on-disk structure.
This is arguably a bug.

as for the getdirentries/lseek suggestion: why in 1997 introduce a new
way to get at data that's _known_ to be thread-unsafe, especially when
changing the getdirentries behaviour just _isn't_ that hard?!

cgd