Subject: Re: serial port silo overflow repair
To: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/29/1997 01:53:02
On:   Tue, 29 Jul 1997 01:30:18 -0700
  Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org> writes:

 >See PR#3239 (a SPARC ELC)
 >
 >This has been a recurring problem for the ports whose mailing lists I read
 >over a very long period of time (a few years):  port-sparc, port-sun3,
 >port-mac68k (especially this last).

Cool, thanks for the pointer.

I assume MRG wasn't using the PROM console on his ELC?
That's a known lose.

But just as a datapoint, I have not seen similar problems on DECstations,
*except* for the 3MIN chassis.  On that one model of DECstation,
4.4bsd and NetbSD both use splhigh() for all interrupt levels (and
will do, until we finish dynamically-computed SPL masks for both the
CPU interrupt-line mask and a motherboard i/o ASIC).

That's just one data point, but it does suggest the problem isn't in
MI code.  With the possible exception of the "MI" zs driver.

The pmax and alpha still aren't using it, and most of the machines you
mention do, dont they?