Subject: Re: number base printing conventions
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/28/1997 17:33:44
> The short version is I'd like to see each place where we see %x or %p
> be replaced by 0x%x or 0x%p (or some other convention like appending
> 'h').

Turning %x into 0x%x or (perhaps better) %#x, that I support.

Turning %p into 0x%p, that I think is broken - %p should already use
whatever the machine's convention is for printing pointers, be it
(loosely speaking) 0x%x or %hx:%hx or whatever.  I'd much rather ensure
that kernel %p prints a leading 0x for (at least non-nil) pointers than
meddle with the _uses_ of it.

Appending h, my reaction to that is "ewww".  I'd rather have a 0x
prefix than an h suffix, even if it is one character longer.  Nothing
else in the known UNIX universe uses h suffix as far as I know,
possibly barring some cross-assemblers to boxen where that's the way
it's traditionally been done; certainly far more things accept 0x
prefix than h suffix elsewhere in the system. :-)

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca