Subject: Re: Kernel Gurus - arp failing..!!!!
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/26/1997 09:49:20
> Mount across subnets is failing.

> When I debug the code I find arpresolve () doesn't take care of host
> on a different subnet.  The code assumes that the source and
> destination ip's are in the same subnet.

> Please comment on this observation.

No surprise.  ARP is not designed for off-(sub)net communication; that
is a routing issue, not an ARP issue.  Indeed, I find it surprising
that arpresolve() is getting called at all for an off-(sub)net host;
are you sure your interface netmasks are set correctly, and that
arpresolve() is being called for the destination host, not an
intermediate gateway host?

					der Mouse