Subject: Many thanks and a new question...
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Joshua Dinerstein <forge@netbsd.warped.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/21/1997 13:25:17
	First off... Thanks to all of you for your help. I finally got
the NetBSD 1.2.1 kernel building successfully on my A3000 and everything
up and running with it.

	And with the Silo overflow problems fixed even the networking on
the box works now. (Before it would time out for long long periods of
time before giving any more information on the screen...)

	I even found out what that the printf function inside the kernel
does. Wow, makes doing alterations on the kernel much easier to figure out.

	I believe I have tracked my problems with this kernel change to
running out of stack space. By this I mean the following: in my C code I
have put several variables include some 1k strings. When they are there I
crash when the code is called. Without these variables there, or with
them much much smaller, I do not crash.

	Is there any way, with the options available inside the kernel, to
determine what the available amount of "stack" for the kernel functions
is? So that I can tell specifically if I am coming close to the edge.

	And if it is the stack is there a way around this problem? To
increase the size of the stack in the kernel? Or do I just have MALLOC my
own block of temporary space and stuff all of the variables into it?

	Any help on this subject would be great.

	Thanks a million,
	Joshua