Subject: Re: mmap allocator package?!
To: Joseph T.K.F <JTHERRAT.IN.ORACLE.COM.ofcmail@in.oracle.com>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/16/1997 08:53:00
On Wed, Jul 16, 1997 at 08:53:20AM +0330, Joseph T.K.F wrote:
> Why does it degrade performance ? Is it bacause of managing maps in the kernel
> Will a mix of mmap, sbrk help.

Uh.  I was misinterpreting the ktrace output last night.  It wasn't the munmap
call that was taking up lots of CPU time.  It was the green stuff between the
calls ;)  (The red stuff you see is my face.)

Now that I see the mmap() and munmap() calls being fast, WHY does the system
spend 70% of time in kernel, according to top or systat?

I will build an X server without the mmap/munmap memory allocator now and see
how it performs.

  -jm

--

                       1503 kHz @ 22:30 EET DST Mon-Fri