Subject: Re: your mail
To: John S. Dyson <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/15/1997 05:48:00
On Tue, 15 Jul 1997 05:30:06 -0500 (EST),
    "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net> writes:

  >> How do you feel when when people misquote or misrepresent what you write?

  >Please specify the context with which you are referring to.

John,

You *are* still writing to a public list as if I've talked about
addressing a performance problem by using AVL trees in the VM code.
I've pointed out that, in fact, I didn't, I just mentioned that Linux
did do so, and I've asked you to *not* say I did.

And you then you reply:

  >It would be unfortunate if someone started working
  >on solving the problem using a method unnecessarily complicated, and
  >perhaps slower.

what's ``unecessarily complicated and perhaps slower''? AVL trees,
(which no-one is proposing at this time except *you*), or something else?

and also:

  > The map coalese problem is not simple to solve
  >due to the detailed conditional code needed.  It isn't brain surgery
  >though.  To solve that specific case, major code restructuring is
  >not needed (and FreeBSD has that problem fixed w/o AVL trees.)

you just aggravate things. John, are you deliberately trying to start
a flamewar?

  >Please recognize that I have not been attempting to be offensive.

OK, granted, but please recognize that when you contine to
misunderstand and/or misrespresent what I said, even after I've asked
you not to, that's not at all how it seems.

OTOH, your response to deliberatley hammering a VM system to see how
it performs under stress I quite liked :).

>Note that my suggested mod was NOT a fix, but only a work around.  A
>fix requires much more work.  Note that much of the problem is mitigated,
>but a more complete solution would be desirable.

I think we're not talking quite the same language, then.
To you, the word "fix" has connotations it doesn't to most people.
I used "fix" in the sense of a ``simple quick fix'', as contrasted, to,
say, a redesign and rewrite.  This sense of the word "fix" is well
understood by most other people; it's used in the NetBSD CVS logs for
similar "fix"es to other VM system problems.

What's do you mean by a ~fix"?  That we use your VM system,
o something similarly re-designed and re-implemented?

If so, it's fine to point out what *you* mean, and to make sure
somebody doesn't mis-understand something attributed to you and
misreport it elsehwere.  (That's all I'm asking here, after all.)