Subject: Re: X server as a Unix system process
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.east-arlington.ma.us>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/14/1997 19:39:15
   However, I don't see _any_ performance problems with X on my NetBSD
   systems, with the one exception of NetBSD/hp300's R5 server, which
   is slow because of a crappy ddx layer.  Even X under NetBSD/sun3 is
   reasonable, and XFree86 is nothing shy of _amazing_ on the 200MHz
   PPro in my office.

It's worth noting that Jim Gettys and Bob Scheiffler sweated bullets
in order to minimise the number of round-trips in the X protocol.  in
particular, the protocol is asynchronous; graphics requests are
buffered and sent over to the server in decent-sized batches.  You
don't do one IPC per line or text string...

					- Bill