Subject: Re: X server as a Unix system process
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@lyssa.owl.de>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/14/1997 16:01:21
On 14 Jul 1997 23:59:31 +0200
 tron@lyssa.owl.de (Matthias Scheler) wrote:

 > Windows NT 3.51 did the graphics stuff in a process, 4.0 does in the kernel.
 > As a result of this 4.0 can be *easily* crashed by a program doing faulty
 > graphic operations.

Heh... no kidding... How often does my X11R6 Xsun crash?  Oh, often,
especially if I'm using later versions of Netscape :-)

I'm told that the reason NT moved graphics from being a "process" (actually,
something very similar to a Mach server) to the "micro"-kernel was for
performance..  However, I don't see _any_ performance problems with
X on my NetBSD systems, with the one exception of NetBSD/hp300's R5 server,
which is slow because of a crappy ddx layer.  Even X under NetBSD/sun3
is reasonable, and XFree86 is nothing shy of _amazing_ on the 200MHz PPro
in my office.