Subject: Re: X server as a Unix system process
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@lyssa.owl.de>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/14/1997 15:57:00
On 14 Jul 1997 23:58:02 +0200
 tron@lyssa.owl.de (Matthias Scheler) wrote:

 > I doubt that. Compare the NFS performance of Linux (userland NFS) with
 > the one of NetBSD (kernel NFS).

You're comparing two very different things... File systems typically
involve passing a lot of data around... whereas things like the X
server really put their data (the image) directly onto the hardware.

Given how X works (command and event packet oriented), I don't really
see much value in putting the server in the kernel...