Subject: Re: debugger on non-normal consoles...
To: None <mikel@shore.net>
From: Andrew Brown <codewarrior@daemon.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/01/1997 14:53:21
>>i'm running on an i386 (so perhaps i'm biased) but i can run the
>>console in any of 25, 28, 40 and 50 lines, with 80 or 132 columns.
>>how easy would it be to make ddb automatically pick these from the
>>pcvt console driver and use then instead of the default 18 and 50?
>
>Ick!  DDB is MI code; it should never try to access MD code like
>pcvt.  A far better suggestion would be to add function(s) to the MI
>console interface to return the size of the console, if they don't
>already exist.

vis a vis your ick, i turned it around and made pcvt (see patch below)
nudge ddb to the correct size.  this became "necessary", since i find
myself dropping into the debugger more and more frequently now that
i'm hacking on the tcp stack.  :)

i'm guessing that the other architectures could do more or less the
same thing from their own hooks into the debugger.  but while my
"patch" does do it when i manually drop into the debugger, i still
won't win if the machine panics and i've never manually done the drop.

*** pcvt_kbd.c.orig	Fri Oct 18 07:18:00 1996
--- pcvt_kbd.c	Tue Jul  1 14:43:51 1997
***************
*** 1390,1395 ****
--- 1390,1399 ----

   		if(!in_Debugger)
   		{
+ 			extern db_max_width, db_max_line;
+ 			db_max_width = vs[0].maxcol;
+ 			db_max_line = vs[0].screen_rows;
+
   			in_Debugger = 1;
  #if PCVT_FREEBSD
  			/* the string is actually not used... */

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
andrew@echonyc.com (TheMan)        * "ah!  i see you have the internet