Subject: README: testers needed for SYN cache code
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/30/1997 14:14:45
Hi folks...

You may have noticed that I've been doing a bit of hacking on the
SYN_cache_branch of the source tree recently.  The reason for this is
that I want to get "compressed state for all embryonic connections" into
the main line for NetBSD 1.3.

I've done a fair bit of testing on i386, SPARC, and Alpha systems, and
fixed numerous bugs in the code.  I _think_ I have worked out the last
of the semantic kinks...

Unfortunately, I can't test the code in all situations, only the in
normal regular usage these systems get... which is typically just
ssh connections (they do a lot of UDP traffic because they're either
NFS servers or the clients of those servers, but that doesn't test
out TCP connection creation :-).

What I really need is for this code to be tested in an environment
where there are MANY legitimate TCP connections being made... a WWW
server or busy mail server would be ideal.  I would also like to know
how well it performs on these system when under attack from a SYN
flood.  I can make my testing tools available.

Requirements for testing this code:

	(a) You must be running NetBSD 1.2G.  The diffs are relative to
	    that, and I can't really afford the time to back-port them
	    to anything.

	(b) You must be able to give me detailed information on how the
	    code fails, if it fails.

	(c) You must be able to _really_ pound on it.

If you're unsure about (b) and (c), ask me for more details, and I can
fill you in...

That said, I'd love to get as many testers as possible... I don't want
to mainline this code if it's going to be buggy...  If you can help me
out, I would really appreciate it...

Thanks!