Subject: Re: debugger on non-normal consoles...
To: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@wau.mis.ah.nl>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/27/1997 21:09:19
Frank van der Linden wrote:

> Quoting Allen Briggs,
>
> > On the PC video cards, is it possible to get back to text mode in
> > a standard fashion?  (At least for (S)VGA cards?)  If not, I don't
> > know if there is a good solution.  If so, X has to tell the console
> > that it's taking over, right?  So it should be possible--at least
> > for ddb--to get the display into text mode before it starts writing
> > to the console.
>
> The only way might just be to call the video bios with the appropriate
> int 0x10 call to set the video mode. The lower resolution/text modes
> are standard. One could use the bioscall() interface (used by the APM
> code) for this.

The problem with this is that, on m68k machines for instance, this approach
is not possible - I haven't seen et4000 cards with an 68k bios. On my Atari
Hades, I have an et4000 PCI card as a console.
I fully understand _why_ this thread was started, as I usually run X11
myself. The best solution I've come up with to use myself currently is
to use a serial port for the debugger.

Leo.