Subject: rebuilding libkvm
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Chris Jones <cjones@rupert.honors.montana.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/17/1997 12:32:37
After a recent (5 min. ago :) kernel rebuild, my ps, w, and
libkvm-using friends didn't work properly, so I endeavored to rebuild
them.  In this case, w still doesn't report what people are doing, and
ps won't compile ("__kvm_pa2off referenced from text segment").  These
are solvable problems, though; I'm assuming these will work after
another sup.

However, they bring up a question I've had for quite a while:  Why is
it really necessary to rebuild libkvm?  As I understand things, it
searches through the kernel's symbol table to find the information it
needs, so why is it so dependent on what kernel I'm running?  Is there
a whole lot of activity happening in the kernel sources that I just
don't know about?  Are the libkvm programs reading *all* of the kernel
data structures, so they get out of date whenever *any* of these
structures changes?

TIA.

Chris

Chris Jones                                    cjones@rupert.honors.montana.edu