Subject: Re: Downloading code to IO processor
To: Martin Husemann <martin@rumolt.teuto.de>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@Plexus.COM>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/17/1997 10:17:50
Hi Martin,

On Tue, 17 Jun 1997, Martin Husemann wrote:

> Now my questions are: would you do the double probe/attach stuffe the
> way I outlined it or would you belive a far less restrictive probe verifying
> only the presence of the shared memory and some defined values which should
> be there after reset, leaving all download stuff to the attach routine?

It would be better for for a non-invasive match (aka `probe') function to
simply verify the existence of the card.  Remember that a card that is
matched may not be attached, necessarily.

If there is common code to nail down the location of the shared memory in
I/O or memory space, put that into a separate function and use that in
both the match and attach functions.

> And which way would you arrange the final protocol download?

I don't have any comments on this, sorry.

--scott