Subject: Re: TCP/IP bug? Unnecessary fragmentation...
To: Chris Csanady <ccsanady@friley01.res.iastate.edu>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/11/1997 10:14:28
Chris Csanady <ccsanady@friley01.res.iastate.edu> writes:

> Although this is under FreeBSD, I am wondering if this is a common problem
> for 4.4BSD derived systems.  I noticed that for certain write sizes,
> multiple fragments get sent instead of one.  Someone else also seems to
> have noticed some odd related behavior as well, as detailed below.

I know when I was running networking tests I found a huge dip when
writing 4k packets.  NetBSD would do something totally stupid and
send lots of little packets rather than 4 1024 byte packets or 2 1500
and one 1096 byte packet.  I think it would actually send a series of
256 byte packets.

This made for a huge performance hit.

--Michael