Subject: Re: autoconfiguration question
To: None <gwr@mc.com, wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Chris Torek <torek@BSDI.COM>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/23/1997 22:52:22
>Maybe something where, if multiple devices "match" at the same
>priority, they all get attached?

To do this, you need to iterate, attaching more until they are
all done.  In most cases, this is not the right thing anyway:
you want a `concentrator' node (typically not actual hardware,
and not in the config tree) that sits between the hardware
and the user interface, so that, e.g., you have:

	 tty I/F    HDLC (net) I/F    mouse I/F
			hardware

Information passes across whichever `wire' is actually talking to
the hardware, and the other two are dead connections (or nonexistent).
This is how Streams *should* work (and is not how it does in SysV,
where they added a horrendous thing for multiplexing streams).

Chris