Subject: None
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/16/1997 15:34:16
>Whoa, my idea exactly :-)

Parallel evolution, not theft :)

>Well ... would you like my current zs driver so you can make sure it's
>pmax-friendly?

Yes, I would, very much.

>If you're willing to help out with the keyboard and mouse
>channel drivers, that would be even better.  I don't have serial console
>support in it (yet).

Sure.  But the pmax still uses the `rcons' code; every time I've asked
about upgrading to wscons I've been told to wait.

And ideally, I'd prefer that the lk-201/401 and dec-mouse channel
drivers be usable with DZ-11 like serial chips (decstation 5000/200,
3100, and vaxstation 2000); and with the weirdo serial chips on the
QVSS and QDSS, too.  (Heck, they might even be 8530s, but they're
buried pretty deep in the Qbus interface).

>If we could make a /sys/dev/tc/zs.c, that would be really great.

Absolutely.  Anything less would be disappointing.

But I'd prefer the 'scc' name, if only because that's what pmax PROMs
and self-test code always called the device.  (But then i've never
thought that using the SunOS/Sun-PROM name was especially MI.)  Is it
possible to override the MI name, or is that a bad idea?