Subject: Re: MI Z8530 driver on the Alpha can't cope with nutty serial port
To: None <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/16/1997 14:40:28
ornstein on Fri, 16 May 1997 16: 43:21 -0400)
Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 14:40:27 -0700
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>

>I'll be glad to help out with an effort aimed at a common driver.
>However, the obvious first question is:  Does the strange wiring
>used by that hardware make it unreasonably hard to share the code?

It shouldn't be hard at all; just add a `control channel' pointer to
the MI driver's per-channel state.  Set up the control-channel pointer
to match the control wiring: cross-pointers iff cross-wired.

BTW, the Alpha and pmax use slightly different versions of the
4.4bsd/pmax scc driver; I'm still(!) trying to finish merging those
back; I've got the differences down to, surprise, console-driver
initialisation.  I don't think there's never been a good reason for
the Alpha and pmax ports having separate versions of this driver.  I
hope the pmax and alpha can share an `zs at ioasic' driver from day
one.