Subject: Re: howto debug kernel
To: Mike Long <mikel@shore.net>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/12/1997 16:17:00
>I think that changing the name of a function that is used by almost
>every file in the kernel tree, for the sake of more easily
>distinguishable manpage names, is an extremely bad idea.

I was thinkng more of the higher-level argument over overloading the
name printf() in userspace and in the kernel; including the
__KPRINTF__ATTRIBUTE argument too.  I don't really want to open that
can of worms again.

But the source-code changes *are* mechanical. They could be done with
sed.  The cost of making the change simply isn't a valid argument
against renaming the kernel printf() to something else.

Equally so, the manpage names isn't a particularly strong argument
in favour of it.