Subject: Re: Dynamic SCSI ids (was: A possible way of handling...)
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/12/1997 16:35:22
wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu (Bill Studenmund) writes:

> Another possability of this scheme is to permit having 4 (maybe 3?)
> partitions per device. If your system uses lots of ccd's, you can then
> have twice as many hd's hooked up at once. If ccd's can be partitioned,
> you get the best of both worlds.

How about on the i386 we add the concept of slices?  It sure would be
nice to have a FreeBSD partition, BSDI, and NetBSD all on the same
disk, and be able to share home and source directories.

Using a slice is, on the i386, a BIOS partition, which is then divided
into the standard ones.

/dev/wd0a would reference the first (and probably only) NetBSD partition
by default in that case.

--Michael