Subject: Re: Dynamic SCSI ids (was: A possible way of handling...)
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/12/1997 11:07:13
> If fsck_ffs will even think about attempting to work on a partition
> that isn't marked `4.2BSD', it's rather broken, and fixing that is
> the correct solution.

Not until all ports no longer have to deal with legacy compatability
disklabels.  I'm thinking of the Sun ports in particular; Sun
compatability disklabels have no partition types.  The compatability
code synthesizes "swap" for b and "unknown" for c (and "4.2BSD" for the
rest)...and your suggestion would make it effectively impossible to put
a filesystem on a b or c partition (without tossing compatability, that
is).  This wouldn't be such a problem except that those ports have
MAXPARTITIONS set to 8, which is awfully small.  I've raised that to
16, and even sent-pr the changes for the SPARC, but have seen no sign
of interest.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca