Subject: Re: none
To: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
From: None <wonko@madness.tmok.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/23/1997 11:15:57
Charles M. Hannum drunkenly mumbled...

> No; it just shares an image or pixmap buffer.  You do *not* get access
> directly to the frame buffer.  (The `DGA' extension in later versions
> of XFree86 do this, mainly to speed up Quake, but I don't know how
> portable the code is to other hardware architectures.  At any rate, I
> don't think that's what he was asking for.)

even though he wasn't asking, i'll drop this point on you guys.  anything that
directly accesses the video hardware will break the second you try to port
it to a SUN machine.  SUN does not allow direct framebuffer access, you
have to use one of the video libraries to do anything "directly" with the
framebuffer.  so, direct access to the video hardware would be a Bad Idea (TM)
in general.

cheers,

-brian

--
"Yes, evil comes in many forms, whether it be a man-eating cow or
 Joseph Stalin, but you can't let the package hide the pudding!  Evil