Subject: Re: NetBSD master CVS tree commits
To: Justin T. Gibbs <gibbs@plutotech.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/20/1997 00:36:18
Justin Gibbs writes:

>It's not a broken drive, it's a broken driver.

>By using the SDEV_AUTOSAVE hack, you make the second scenario impossible
>for the target to achieve since you force the data pointers to be saved
>irregardless of whether the target asked for it or not.
>
>As I've said before, SDEV_AUTOSAVE should go away and the esp driver
>should be fixed.

Justin,

I freely confess that I've forgotten most of what I ever knew about
the SCSI protocol, and even on a good day I now confuse SASI and CCS
and SCSI-2.

I'm convinced the write scenarios you described really are broken.

But will those scenarios really stop the sd driver from obtaining a
vendor string from a drive?  I find that counterintuitive, but that
may be just my problem.

Sincere thanks if you can take time to clear this up,
--Jonathan