Subject: Re: Apollo keyboard, serial drivers (announce)
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
From: mike smith <miff@spam.frisbee.net.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/17/1997 01:32:13
Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

> Mike answered:
>
>    Na und?  Sounds like you want a megaprotocol rodent translation
>    engine then, whether it lives in userspace or kernel space.
>
> In userspace the unused parts will be omitted, when demand-paging. :-)

You mean your kernel doesn't page? 8) 8) 8)

> and: we _have_ dynamic loadable user libraries, btw.... it its really
> going to become big.

The mouse translation engine?  Hmm, I can't see that, but I'll
take your word for it.

> Actually, using a dynamic loadable library for the X server's blitter
> support code (if any) and the the X server's mouse decoding doesn't
> sound too bad, does it?

Not at all.  The XFree86 folks are a long way along this road; it
might be beneficial to see if you could incorporate their tech, as
I don't think it's '86-specific.

--
Mike Smith  *BSD hack  Unix hardware collector
The question "why are the fundamental laws of nature mathematical"