Subject: explicit vs implicit padding
To: None <eeh@one-o.com>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/02/1997 13:24:07
> Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 10:16:51 -0800 (PST)
> From: "Eduardo E. Horvath" <eeh@one-o.com>

> Shouldn't we be padding for 64-bit machines?  Or do all 64-bit machines
> need unaligned access trap handlers to deal with unaligned 64-bit values.
> BTW, I have seen instances of gcc 2.7.2.1 misaligning `long long's on
> SPARC.

Perhaps, but normally the compiler should take care of the alignment.
The m68k is just a special case where the normal compiler alignment
rules are not always what we want, but we don't want to change them
(for ABI compatibilty reasons).

Doesn't the SPARC ABI specify how to align 64-bit things?
Is this just a GCC bug rather than something intentional?

Gordon