Subject: Re: ncr53c9x changes proposed
To: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
From: Eduardo E. Horvath <eeh@one-o.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/02/1997 10:16:51
On Tue, 1 Apr 1997, Gordon W. Ross wrote:

> > Explicit structure padding is the easiest alternative.
>
> By the way, when I write "explicit" I mean that the padding
> referred to is only that which would have been inserted in a
> structure by a compiler that aligns to 32-bit boundaries.
>
> In other words, the padding members should not change any of
> the structure offsets determined on (i.e.) the sparc.

Shouldn't we be padding for 64-bit machines?  Or do all 64-bit machines
need unaligned access trap handlers to deal with unaligned 64-bit values.
BTW, I have seen instances of gcc 2.7.2.1 misaligning `long long's on
SPARC.

Eduardo Horvath				eeh@btr.com
"Cliffs are for climbing.  That's why God invented grappling hooks."
					- Benton Frasier