Subject: Re: Dynamic SCSI ids (was: A possible way of handling...)
To: Johan Danielsson <joda@pdc.kth.se>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.macbsd.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/30/1997 09:55:29
> I agree that what you really want is symbolic disk names.

I'm not sure that's what I want, but it does sound like an appealing
solution in some respects.  I would like some more details about how one
might implement it.

> I also
> realize that the BSD way of handling scsi ids work quite well in many
> cases. It does however have the potential of screwing up disks.

I think we all (or most of us, anyway) agree that the current scheme
isn't perfect.  Especially with your implied assumption that folks will
be running the GENERIC kernel instead of compiling their own.  This is
probably far more true today than it has been in the past.

> What follows is an abreviated
> GENERIC config file. You won't find any disks in there, just busses.

So how are disks mapped to specific devices?

I would still like to see a proposed plan, in some detail, of how you
think it should work.  I don't believe that anyone has said that there
are not limitations in the current scheme.  Other schemes also have their
limitations.  If you make a detailed proposal, then we can evaluate the
prospect of changing The Way It Works.  Without a detailed proposal, you
will find a lot of resistance to change because it has worked this way
for a long time and only caused minor problems/confusion/annoyance (and
the occasional operator error due to confusion).  It will also require
re-educating a lot of people if we do change it, so it can't be changed
without real, tangible, defensable reason.

So, I repeat...  Give us a proposed better way of doing things.  I'm not
asking for code--just a detailed description...

Cheers,
-allen

--
              Allen Briggs - end killing - briggs@macbsd.com