Subject: Re: Dynamic SCSI ids (was: A possible way of handling...)
To: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/29/1997 20:20:58
On Sat, 29 Mar 1997, Matthew Jacob wrote:

> >and	not require many, many device nodes (i.e., SVRx)
>
> What's the objection here?

The fact that the current i386 GENERIC kernel would need 3528 SCSI
disk nodes in /dev to provide the same functionality as we provide
now? Although I'll be the first to admit that we could get by in
virtually all situations with a mere 882....

I'm all ears if anyone has an alternate proposal, BTW. I've had my
share of frustrations with the current setup. But I don't see any
way to make it better myself.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.		`And malt does more than Milton can
Vancouver, BC   (604) 257-9400		 To justify God's ways to man.'