Subject: Re: A possible way of handling variant/common devices
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/29/1997 17:07:09
At 09:46 AM 3/29/97 -0800, Jason Thorpe wrote:
>On Sat, 29 Mar 1997 07:17:12 -0500 (EST)
> der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA> wrote:
>
> > I think the person who wrote that was talking about _physical_
> > reordering, not mucking with ID settings.
>
>...uhhhh.... if you physically reorder your drives without changing
>SCSI ID, then you haven't really changed anything (provided you don't
>connect them to another SCSI bus).

I think physical reordering gave different results in ISA, while changing
the SCSI IDs causes your drives to be "reordered" wrt device assignment.

It's confusion about the meaning of "reordering".

BTW, it would be kinda spiffy to be able to "mount /usr" and have it mount
the /usr partition, no matter what ID it happens to be at. It'd get messy
if you had multiple partitions laying around that were previously mounted
at /usr. Hmmmm.
--
XCOMM Kevin P. Neal, Junior, Comp. Sci.     -   House of Retrocomputing
XCOMM  mailto:kpneal@pobox.com              -   http://www.pobox.com/~kpn/