Subject: Re: Dynamic SCSI ids (was: A possible way of handling...)
To: Johan Danielsson <joda@pdc.kth.se>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/29/1997 10:01:00
On 29 Mar 1997 17:22:35 +0200
 joda@pdc.kth.se (Johan Danielsson) wrote:

 > > But what would you do with a disk on a 2nd scsibus?
 >
 > It works quote ok with just about any other OS.

...I think Ignatios was posing a question that's meant to point out
that some human has to make an arbitrary decision.  No decision is going
to please everybody, so we pick one that gets it mostly right for all
configurations.

Look, Johan, I'm not trying to be rude, here, but it seems almost like
you are missing the point on purpose...

Let me try to reiterate it for you:

If you build your own custom kernel, you can wire your SCSI IDs to whatever
you want.  I.e., on your system, you could do:

sd0	at scsibus0 target 0 lun 0
sd1	at scsibus0 target 1 lun 0
sd2	at scsibus0 target 2 lun 0

...if you want.  It's not that hard to do, and may be perfectly reasonable
for your own installation.  Like in other OSs, this works Just Fine under
NetBSD (and I have even used it).

HOWEVER, it is not reasonable to do this for "generic" kernels.  There are
simply too many combinations.  Have you ever compiled a Digital UNIX (formerly
DEC OSF/1) kernel?  There are, quite literally, screenfulls of SCSI disk and
tape configuration info in their GENERIC configuration.  It's ridiculous.

Now, I also haven't seen you describe exactly the behavior you want.  If
you do so, I'm sure someone could help you out with the cnfiguration info
to achieve that behavior.