Subject: A possible way of handling variant/common devices
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Matt Thomas <matt@lkg.dec.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/28/1997 11:04:16
I've been wanting to PnP support for a NE2000 clone that Digital
is now selling.  And that has got me to thinking.

There are a number of drivers (especially on the i386) that need
to somewhat close variations of cards.  Consider the le0 on isa
for example.

#le0    at isa? port 0x320 irq 10 drq 7         # IsoLan, NE2100, and DEPCA

Would it make more sense to have

depca*	at isa?
depca*	at eisa?
le*	at depca?

And treat the variant as a very thin bus?  It would make the config
file a bit more complicated but it would allow more precise of what
variants you do need to support.

This could be applied to the NE2000/WD/SMC driver as well.

Thoughts?
3am Software Foundry      WWW URL:    http://www.3am-software.com/bio/matt.html
Westford, MA              Disclaimer: I disavow all knowledge of this message