Subject: Re: Multiple values for locators
To: Charles M. Hannum <>
From: Brett Lymn <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/26/1997 12:38:57
According to Charles M. Hannum:
>device  isa {[port*4 = -1,-1,-1,-1], [size*4 = 0,0,0,0],
>             [iomem*4 = -1,-1,-1,-1], [iosiz*4 = 0,0,0,0],
>             [irq*2 = -1,-1], [drq*2 = -1,-1]}
>and cf_locnames gets `locator[N]' iff there's a `*N' in there.

Oooh goody, locators (some of you may know why I am interested ;-)

One thing that would be good would be to get away from arbitrary
offsets into the locator array.  Could the locator array be overlayed
with a union structure that is dependent on the bus that the driver is
being used on?  This way we could document the meaning of the locators
in a consistent manner whilst maintaining compatiability with the old
driver code - if this was done and there was some indication
of the bus type the device is attached to then the locators array
would be useful for more than the autoconfig.

  "Upgrading your memory gives you MORE RAM!" - ad in MacWAREHOUSE catalogue.