Subject: Re: Multiple values for locators
To: John Kohl <jtk@kolvir.arlington-heights.ma.us>
From: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/25/1997 20:19:44
John Kohl <jtk@kolvir.arlington-heights.ma.us> writes:

> (a) what would you do with FOOCF_LOCNAME_DEFAULT?  set it to 0,0,0,0?
>     Or define several of them (one for each position)?

My inclination is to get rid of those completely, actually.

> CH> wdc0 at isa? port 0x1f0,0x3f6 irq 14
>
> Presumably this should also "size 8,1" for the two port ranges?

Well, if you *did* specify it, it would be `8,2'.  Howveer...

> [This
> is a peeve of mine; most of the ISA drivers could/should have a size
> locator, and the 0x666 crock in isa.c can go away.]

...the size is not intended to be specified in the config file for
most devices; it's only exported so that it can be used with weird
things like some multiport boards where you *can't* know whether they
have 4 or 8 ports and have to intuit it from the `size.  In general,
it's just overridden by the driver anyway.

The `0x666 crock' was only there so that if no value was specified or
put in by the driver it did something purposefully wacky to generate
bug reports, but still worked.  (The only real use of ia_iosize
outside of drivers is to print out the info, so I didn't consider it
particularly critical that it be correct.)  Anyway, that's mostly
historical at this point.