Subject: Re: Multiple values for locators
To: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
From: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/25/1997 17:50:56
gwr@mc.com (Gordon W. Ross) writes:

> > From: mycroft@gnu.ai.mit.edu (Charles M. Hannum)
> > Date: 25 Mar 1997 17:26:36 -0500
>
> > I have a severe need to express multiple values for a locator for
> > indirect devices.  e.g.  I need to be able to do:
> >
> > sb0 at isa? port 0x220 irq 1 drq 1,5
> > gus0 at isa? port 0x300 irq 1 drq 5,7
> >
> > Right now, where this is done at all, it's typically done via some
> > hack involving the `flags' field.
>
> Would it be easier to use a "mask" instead?  i.e.:
>
> sb0  at isa? port 0x220 irq 1 drqs 0x22	# 1,5
> gus0 at isa? port 0x300 irq 1 drqs 0xA0 # 5,7

Uh, `no'.

1) That implies some representation issues which simply aren't
correct.  e.g.  Technically, wdc should be described as:

wdc0 at isa? port 0x1f0,0x3f6 irq 14

and I'm certainly not going to introduce a bitmap for the `port'
locator.

2) The previous examples do *not* say `select one of these values';
they say `use these two values'.  The ordering may be very important,
since the values may be used for quite different purposes.