Subject: Re: /dev/dsp device specs
To: None <Peter.Berg@ww.tu-freiberg.de>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/11/1997 11:44:11
>From: Peter Berg <Peter.Berg@ww.tu-freiberg.de>
>Date: Sat, 08 Mar 1997 21:37:00 +0100

>The device will support digital audio in the following formats
>
>4 Channel 16 bit
>8 Channel 16 bit          - All fully Duplex of course
>8 Channel 20 bit
>8 Channel A-DAT
>2 Channel 16 bit S/PDIF
>
>output either as raw data (unprocessed stream output) or as Sun audio file
>containing only the audio data, but with the given resolution and number of
>channels. Additionaly the device will have support for DSP executables
>embedded in a Sun audio file.
>The device will be a gateway too to the DSP and the TDM bus.
>All *.snd files copied to this device will be converted on the fly into
>44.1kHz/16bit and played out to the digital or analog outputs of the card.

This looks like something that came from NeXTstep, not SunOS.  AFAIK
no Suns have ever had onboard DSPs, and SunOS 4 lacks a /dev/dsp
device.

>As far as I know, the /dev/audio device is partialy implemented in NetBSD.
>What are the diffrences between /dev/dsp and /dev/audio ?

/dev/audio is a single (mono/stereo) channel, and doesn't support any
DSP functionality.  See audio(4).
--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>     <URL:http://www.shore.net/~mikel>