Subject: Re: man 9 (was splsched() )
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@quick.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/05/1997 00:02:59
der Mouse writes:
>>> Producing a good man page is slow.  Producing a bad one takes five
>>> minutes, and it can be improved with time.

>> Is there a good description for how to write a man page?  I mean how
>> to deal w/ all the formating?

>If you find one, I'd love to see it.  The mdoc.samples manpage is the

If you are after a _simple_ way of producing reasonable man pages
using the old man macro's check out

ftp://ftp.quick.com.au/pub/sjg/cmt2doc.pl

the man page is at the top of the script and can be formatted thus:

cmt2doc.pl -pm cmt2doc.pl | nroff -man

I use it to extract man pages from .sh, .pl, .c files etc, but it will
just as happily handle a plain file.  The conventions are simple,
'bold', "italic", and it understands option lists - the aim is that
the comment in the source should be as readable as the typeset man
page.  Given the constraints, the results are not too bad.

You can then feed the result into rosetta man for pretty decent HTML
docs, try:

http://www.quick.com.au/cgi-bin/rtfm?topic=cmt2doc.pl
and
http://www.quick.com.au/cgi-bin/rtfm?topic=rtfm

--
Simon J. Gerraty        <sjg@quick.com.au>

#include <disclaimer>   /* imagine something _very_ witty here */