Subject: Re: man 9 (was splsched() )
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/03/1997 17:52:59
>> Producing a good man page is slow.  Producing a bad one takes five
>> minutes, and it can be improved with time.

> Is there a good description for how to write a man page?  I mean how
> to deal w/ all the formating?

If you find one, I'd love to see it.  The mdoc.samples manpage is the
closest I've seen; it's good, but it's woefully inadequate; indeed, the
first time I wanted to write a serious manpage, I found two macro calls
(.Tn and .At) used in a page I was cribbing from - macros which simply
weren't mentioned in mdoc.samples!

There also appears to be a bug in the package somewhere, or else in the
documentation such that I'm misusing it.  I have a manpage that is
incomplete because indentation started walking to the right edge of the
page, indenting more and more with each item in a list, and I couldn't
figure out why or how to stop it.  I also had a run-in once with an
attempt to do alternation in a way that required more than 9 arguments
to some macro, and I couldn't make .Xo and .Xc (or whatever the
extend-argument-list calls are) work....

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca