Subject: Writing Man Pages with *roff
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Jeremy Cooper <jeremy@broder.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/03/1997 14:15:19
On Mon, 3 Mar 1997, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> Is there a good description for how to write a man page? I mean how
> to deal w/ all the formating? I know LaTeX for work, and find it more
> natural than what I've seen of man page innards. I think the big
> difference is man pages seem to need to start a line to delimit
> certain formatting chages. That just strikes me as cumbersum.

I learned the roff format from Kernigan & Pike's "The UNIX Programming
Environment", chapter 9 "Document Preparation".  I really suggest you
check it out.  Even though we have quite a few more macros since the book
was published in 1984, it is an immensely helpful good start.  Yes, you
are correct in that most macros are delimited by newlines, and are hence
'one per line'.

-J