Subject: Re: Real time scheduling
To: Erik E. Fair <>
From: Brett Lymn <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/28/1997 20:47:13
According to Erik E. Fair:
>At 21:39 -0800 2/27/97, HARAWAT.IN.ORACLE.COM wrote:
>>	Has anyone tried to implement Real time scheduling ( of SVr4 ) into
>What API & service elements for Real Time scheduling did SVr4 provide?

>From what I can see on the Solaris 2 boxes at work - not a lot in
terms of API.  A couple of calls that allow a process to manipulate
it's own priority (priocntl) and manipulate the priority on a set of
running processes (priocntlset).  There also a kernel table you can
change (needs to be compiled and loaded into the kernel on Sol 2) that
affects the scheduling priorities.  That is about it from the quick
look I had.

Most of the hard work on this one, I suspect, is making the scheduler
pay attention to the new priority classes and ensure that RT processes
are not preempted when they are running

  "Upgrading your memory gives you MORE RAM!" - ad in MacWAREHOUSE catalogue.